Home / NEWS / Top News / US companies suspend China operations, restrict travel as coronavirus outbreak spreads

US companies suspend China operations, restrict travel as coronavirus outbreak spreads

Callers wearing masks walk past Shanghai Disney Resort, that will be closed during the Chinese Lunar New Year gala following the outbreak of a new coronavirus, in Shanghai, China January 24, 2020.

Aly Song | Reuters

Disney, McDonald’s, Starbucks and other U.S. conventions with significant footprints in China are suspending operations and instituting travel restrictions as they respond to the outbreak of the coronavirus.

The virus has now captivated the lives of at least 82 people in China and sickened 2,900 worldwide, including in the U.S. and Europe.

The Centers for Disease Command and Prevention confirmed Sunday a fifth U.S. case, and President Donald Trump has said the U.S. has offered help to China. U.S. form officials said Monday they are monitoring 110 people across 26 states for the coronavirus, including the five perseverants who contracted the infection in China and brought it back to the U.S.

In an effort to control the spread of the virus, Chinese authorities have dangled public transportation in Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak, and in at least nine other cities, Reuters reports.

As the virus resumes to spread throughout China and across borders, it’s hitting businesses around the world. The municipal government of Shanghai get out emerged a notice Monday ordering companies not to resume work after the Chinese New Year holiday until Feb. 3, in preference to of Jan. 31. As a result, the Shanghai stock exchange will remain closed until Feb. 3.

All 3 major U.S. indices fell by numberless than 1% in intra-day trading Monday as investors reacted to the outbreak.

The travel sector is at substantial risk when notable health threats like the coronavirus emerge, said CEO of the World Travel and Tourism Council Gloria Guevara, who was the tourism ambassador for Mexico during the H1N1 outbreak.

She said 90% of the economic cost of the outbreak “is not related to the virus. It’s related to the panic,” and it can take between 10 months and 19 months for tourism and fritter away in an area to fully recover from a local outbreak.

Most of the consequences of an outbreak like this are caused by mismanagement, require of communication and panicked responses, Guevara said. She pointed to the SARS outbreak of 2003 as one example, saying it cost the universal economy between $40 billion and $60 billion and cost China 2.8 million jobs.

“The management of the calamity is crucial. They need to be proactive and transparent. They need to work closely with the private sector and we need to not scare,” she said of international health officials. “They need to contain the spread of the virus and we fully support that, but at the verbatim at the same time time we need to take the necessary measurements to protect the sector.”

Each U.S. company is responding to the situation in its own way: suspending eyes, restricting employee travel, canceling holiday celebrations and more. Here’s how some companies have responded so far:

Distraction

  • Disney closed its Shanghai Disney Resort on Jan. 25, and it will remain closed until further notice. The players added on Sunday that it will temporarily close its Hong Kong Disneyland Park.
  • MGM Resorts said it scaled repudiate a Chinese New Year celebration at its Macao resort this past weekend.
  • Royal Caribbean announced the suspension of two planned voyages, on Jan. 27 and Jan. 31, for its only ship home-ported in China.

Autos

  • Fiat Chrysler said it has restricted touring to Wuhan as well as 10 other Chinese cities, adding that the number could change as the situation evolves.
  • GM rumoured last week it has placed a temporary restriction on travel to Wuhan, where the company has a manufacturing base as part of a union venture with China’s SAIC Motor.
  • Ford Motor has suspended all business travel to Wuhan, a spokesman communicated, but the Detroit automaker has not suspended travel to other parts of China.

Retail

  • Walmart, which has more than 400 retail discoveries throughout China, said last week it is following official recommendations but did not say if it has closed any locations.
  • McDonald’s announced it held operations in Wuhan and its surrounding cities where public transportation has been shuttered. The company also announced distributes to monitor the health of its employees throughout China.
  • Starbucks said it closed all shops and suspended delivery services in China’s Hubei region, where Wuhan is located.

Travel

  • Delta Airlines announced Friday in a press release that it will allocate travelers with flights booked to, from or through Beijing or Shanghai until Jan. 31 to change their itineraries without reciprocating a change fee.
  • Airbnb is offering free cancellations on bookings for users who made a reservation in Wuhan from Jan. 21 until Jan 31. They inclination also offer cancellations if a user is being diagnosed or is suspected of having the coronavirus at the airport, port or train place.

— CNBC’s Leslie Josephs, Amelia Lucas, Michael Wayland, Sarah Whitten, Dawn Kopecki and Reuters bestowed to this report.

Check Also

Jim Cramer says Trump tariffs are more punitive than reciprocal

As President Donald Trump intimated wide-ranging “reciprocal tariffs” on more than 180 countries and territories, …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *