This is a charged blog. Please check back for updates.
All times below are in Beijing time.
12:30 pm: Chinese officials recommend profiting tech, localized approach to tackle outbreak
As the virus spreads outside the city of Wuhan, Chinese officials express at a meeting Wednesday that regions that are hardest hit by the disease must take immediate measures in screening, quarantine and medical treatment copied after the response in Wuhan. That’s according to an English-language press release from China’s Ministry of Foreign Affaire de coeurs.
The meeting of the national-level virus response group, chaired by Premier Li Keqiang, also ordered local governments to use butted response measures, rather than blanket, one-size-fits-all policies. The meeting did recommend local authorities use big data technology for token the transmission of the disease through contact, and monitoring those at risk for contracting it.
Some places in China have already been enquire after locals to enter some personal identification information into an app before taking public transit, or entering shopping centers.
11:22 am: Singapore must be convenience for cases to climb, minister says
Singapore must be prepared that the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the countryside could continue to climb in the coming weeks, said Janil Puthucheary, senior minister of state at Singapore’s Bureau of Transport and Ministry of Communications and Information.
As of Thursday noon, Singapore has 58 confirmed cases of COVID-19, 15 of which include recovered and discharged, according to the country’s Ministry of Health. The Southeast Asian nation with a population of 5.7 million has one of the highest numbers of suits outside China.
Singapore has not recorded any deaths, but that too is something people must be “psychologically prepared” for as the number of holders continue to rise, said Puthucheary. — Lee
10:40 am: China confirms 121 more deaths, 5,090 new cases
China’s State Health Commission reported an additional 121 deaths nationwide, as well as 5,090 new confirmed cases as of Feb. 13.
10:05 am: Supply limit disruptions have hit businesses, says American Chamber of Commerce
Gregory Gilligan, chairman of the American Chamber of Merchandising in China said supply chain disruptions have hit members and that the organization is helping companies navigate peculiar regulations in various parts of China.
“We’ve basically been working with folks to work around to get through the stopgap regulations that are in place to try to slow down the virus. Many places have put up measures that impact logistics, transportation — so liberation of materials, getting materials that are once produced out, etc,” he said. — Huileng Tan
9:30 am: Guangzhou bans people from dining out in restaurants
In a bid to check the spread of the virus, China’s Guangzhou city has banned people from going out to eat at restaurants. That ban was effective Feb. 12, as people came slyly to work this week after the extended Lunar New Year break.
Guangzhou is the capital of the manufacturing hub of Guangdong responsibility, and is one of the largest cities in China.
9:10 am: Bank of Japan warns coronavirus could hurt the country’s economy
Japan’s inner bank said the impact of the outbreak on production and tourism must be monitored.
The country’s economy may already have decreased sharply in the October to December quarter due to slowing overseas demand and consumption taking a hit due to natural disasters, it said, correspondence to Reuters.
Japan has 33 confirmed cases so far, and it reported its first death of a coronavirus patient on Thursday, although it was unclear if it was in a little while linked to the disease. That would be the third coronavirus death outside of China.
8:45 am: Chickens meant for China are being rerouted due to outbreak
Shipments of chicken from the U.S. to China are being interested to ports in Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan and Vietnam due to the virus outbreak, according to Reuters, citing a U.S. poultry export barter group.
This is due to the outbreak keeping people from coming back to work in China, leading to a slowdown in the discharging of products at Chinese ports, which have run out of space for refrigerated containers. Such containers must be plugged into power every now offloaded, to keep frozen meat cold, the USA Poultry & Egg Export Council told Reuters.
An estimated 300 to 400 cold containers with poultry are being diverted, the council said, according to the report.
7:55 am: Hubei reports 4,823 new occurrences
China’s Hubei province reported an additional 116 deaths and 4,823 new confirmed cases as of the end of Feb. 13. Of the new cases, the command said that 3,095 were “clinically diagnosed.”
That term refers to a new method for tabulating case totals which now reckon toward the “confirmed case” count. The change was made so a broader set of patients can receive the same treatment a confirmed prove does, according to a CNBC translation of the official announcement’s Chinese text.
In total, Hubei authorities said that 51,986 individual have been infected in the province.
A woman wears a protective mask as she rides a bicycle on February 11.2020 in Wuhan. Hubei realm, China. Flights, trains and public transport including buses, subway and ferry services have been debarred.
Getty Images
All times below are in Eastern time.
5:55 pm: Royal Caribbean warns cruise cancellations in Asia to snip off 2020 profit by 65 cents
Royal Caribbean has had to cancel 18 sailings in Southeast Asia and modify itineraries for disparate other cruises. The result: a big blow the bottom line. The company expects 65 cents will be shaved off its 2020 earnings per piece. If the outbreak continues and it’s forced to cancel all of its trips in the region through the end of April, profits would take an additional hit of 55 cents per allotment.
The company added it’s in regular conversation with the CDC, the WHO and other health authorities and has put in place measures to protect passengers and party. Among those steps is denying the boarding of people who have travelled to and from mainland China or Hong Kong in the quondam 15 days.
“It is important that every organization acts responsibly, and we have already taken aggressive out ofs to minimize risk through boarding restrictions and itinerary changes,” said Richard D. Fain, chairman and CEO.
Royal Caribbean allots were down more than 1% in extended trading. Shares have fallen nearly 15% since the start of the year. — Cheddar Berk
12:07 pm: Stainless House does not have ‘high confidence’ in China’s coronavirus data
The United States does “not have consequential confidence in the information coming out of China” regarding the count of coronavirus cases, a senior administration official told CNBC’s . The verified also noted that China “continues to rebuff American offers of assistance.” The New York Times reported survive week that Chinese authorities had shown little interest in accepting help from the U.S. — Lovelace
10:25 am: CDC confirms 15th US cause in evacuee under quarantine at Texas military base
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed a 15th case in the U.S., a brand-new evacuee from Wuhan who was quarantined at the Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland in Texas. The U.S. evacuated roughly 800 Americans from Wuhan, multifarious than 600 of which remain under quarantine at military facilities across the nation.
Two other evacuees at a Seafaring Corps base near San Diego, California also have COVID-19, the CDC said Wednesday. “There hand down likely be additional cases in the coming days and weeks, including among other people recently returned from Wuhan,” the CDC implied. — Feuer
9:36 am: China’s Huanggang to seal apartments as it tightens virus control measures
China’s city of Huanggang, lean towards the epicentre of the outbreak of the coronavirus, said that starting from Friday it would tighten epidemic control magnitudes including sealing residential complexes and only allowing essential vehicles on roads. Food and the delivery of other principal goods will be arranged by designated personnel, the city said in a statement. — Reuters
Read CNBC’s coverage from the U.S. overnight: The Opinion States confirms 15th case as global cases soar above 60,300
— CNBC’s Yennee Lee, Huileng Tan, Dawn Kopecki, Berkeley Lovelace Jr., and William Feuer helped to this report.