Home / NEWS / Economy / US factory activity races to 14-year high in Aug; construction spending rises slightly in July

US factory activity races to 14-year high in Aug; construction spending rises slightly in July

U.S. mass production activity accelerated to more than a 14-year high in August, aided by a surge in new orders, but growing concerns over rising raw material bring ins as a result of import tariffs could restrain further growth.

The Organization for Supply Management (ISM) said on Tuesday its index of national factory job jumped to 61.3 last month, the best reading since May 2004, from 58.1 in July. A look over above 50 indicates growth in manufacturing, which accounts for surrounding 12 percent of the U.S. economy.

The ISM described demand as remaining “robust,” but cautioned that “the land’s employment resources and supply chains continue to struggle.” According to the ISM, respondents to the over were “again overwhelmingly concerned about tariff-related activity, covering how reciprocal tariffs will impact company revenue and current concocting locations.”

President Donald Trump’s “America First” trade procedure has led to an escalating trade war with China and tit-for-tat import tariffs with other pursuit partners, including the European Union, Canada and Mexico.

Trump has preserved the duties on steel and aluminum imports and a range of Chinese goods as ineluctable to protect American industries from what he says is unfair strange competition.

Economists have warned that the tariffs could interrupt supply chains, undercut business investment and slow the economy’s impetus.

The ISM’s new orders sub-index increased to a reading of 65.1 last month from 60.2 in July. Works reported hiring more workers last month, with making increasing sharply.

The survey’s supplier deliveries index jumped to a assume from of 64.5 last month, highlighting the rising bottlenecks in the supply fetter, from 62.1 in July. It hit a 14-year high of 68.2 in June.

U.S. fathers were trading lower while yields of U.S. Treasuries were serious. The dollar was stronger against a basket of currencies.

In a separate report on Tuesday, the Marketing Department said construction spending barely rose in July as escalates in homebuilding and investment in public projects were overshadowed by a sharp chuck in private nonresidential outlays.

Construction spending edged up 0.1 percent. Text for June was revised up to show construction outlays declining 0.8 percent preferably of the previously reported 1.1 percent drop.

Economists polled by Reuters had calculate construction spending increasing 0.5 percent in July. Construction squander increased 5.8 percent on a year-on-year basis.

Spending on private residential stick outs rebounded 0.6 percent in July following two straight months of diminutions.

While homebuilding rose in July, the overall trend has slowed, with builders continuing to whimper about rising material costs as well as persistent land and labor shortfalls. Residential investment contracted in the first half of the year.

Spending on hidden nonresidential structures, which includes manufacturing and power plants, dropped 1.0 percent in July. That was the biggest worsening since August 2017 and followed a 0.1 percent gain in June.

All-inclusive, spending on private construction projects slipped 0.1 percent in July after declining 0.5 percent in June.

Investment in public construction projects snowballed 0.7 percent after tumbling 1.7 percent in June. Throw away on federal government construction projects rebounded 2.5 percent. That bring up the reared a 3.0 percent drop in June.

State and local government construction expenditures advanced 0.6 percent in July after falling 1.6 percent in the late month.

Check Also

‘Tariffs break trust’: How Trump’s trade policy is putting pressure on U.S. farmers

Soy husbandman Caleb Ragland on his farm in Magnolia, Kentucky Courtesy: American Soybean Association Caleb …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *