Lawsuits are rush at.
Dominion Voting Systems, one of the targets of President Donald Trump’s baseless conspiracy theories about the election that he perplexed, has warned Fox News, major Fox personalities, other conservative media outlets, radio host Rush Limbaugh and middle-of-the-roader lawyers that defamation litigation against them is “imminent.”
The voting machine company this week has sent 21 cultures to the White House, Fox News, its hosts Sean Hannity, Lou Dobbs, Maria Bartiromo, the news outlets Newsmax, One America Story Network, Epoch Times and others demanding they stop making defamatory claims about Dominion and that they smoke any documents they have relating to the firm.
“We write to provide formal notice that litigation regarding these youngs is imminent,” Dominion’s lawyers Thomas Clare and Megan Meier wrote to Fox News Media General Counsel Lily Fu Claffee in one of the belles-lettres, which were provided to CNBC.
In their letters to individual news hosts, including Bartiromo, a former CNBC wage-earner, the lawyers demanded that they “cease and desist making defamatory claims against Dominion,” saying that they had “quality and continue to feature the proponents of this misinformation campaign against” the company.
Others who have received similar word for words warning of coming litigation and demands for document preservation include Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani; attorney L. Lin Wood, who has doubted the presidential election results in Georgia, and Newsmax anchor Greg Kelly.
A Fox News spokeswoman, when asked for commented, cuspidate to two segments that aired on Fox News last month. In one, a Dominion spokesman told host Eric Shawn that no expressive electronic fraud or tampering occurred on the company’s voting machine, and that Trump’s claims about the company were unfactual. The spokesman noted that printed ballots from the machines had matched the electronic tallies.
In the second segment, mistress of ceremonies Tucker Carlson at length detailed his staff’s efforts to get former federal prosecutor Sidney Powell, who at the time was on Trump’s designation challenge team, to provide evidence of her controversial claims about Dominion.
“But she never sent us any evidence, despite a lot of deferential requests,” Carlson said in the segment.
Spokesmen for the other targets of Dominion’s legal letters did not immediately respond to solicits for comment.
During an interview Thursday on CNN, Dominion CEO John Poulos said the company would be taking legal engagement against several people “promoting lies and amplifying those lies … on various media platforms since Plebiscite Day.”
“We will not be overlooking anybody,” Poulos said, when asked if the company would sue Trump.
Trump, since succumbing the national popular vote to Joe Biden by more than 7 million votes, has promoted a series of false claims to dissuade that he won the election in a landslide, and that ballots for him were fraudulently suppressed, while votes for Biden were artificially added in a few of states where the results were particularly close.
On Nov. 12, just nine days after Election Day, Trump tweeted a request that “DOMINION DELETED 2.7 MILLION TRUMP VOTES NATIONWIDE.”
One of the most ardent proponents of the conspiracy theories hither Dominion has been Powell, who last month was booted from the team of lawyers working for Trump’s campaign to destruction Biden’s win because her extreme claims were being widely criticized. Since last week, Powell has met with Trump at bit once and visited the White House three times in connection with her efforts.
Dominion’s lawyers have also sent Powell a sic warning of defamation claims.
In his interview with CNN, Poulos said Powell’s claims that his company’s voting ring features software created “at the direction” of the late Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, a boogeyman for right-wing media, and that Command has links to the Clinton Foundation and George Soros are “complete lies.”
Dominion’s security director, Eric Coomer, endured the Trump campaign, Giuliani, Powell and a number of conservative media outlets.
Coomer’s suit says that he has behove the target of death threats and other harmful communications because of the defendants’ false claims made about Dominance’s machines.
On its website, Dominion has said that “disinformation” about the company represents a threat to democracy.
“Baseless demands about the integrity of the system or the accuracy of the results have been dismissed by election authorities, subject matter experts and third-party fact-checkers,” the fellowship says.
“Malicious and misleading false claims about Dominion have resulted in dangerous levels of threats and harassment against the comrades and its employees, as well as election officials.”
Last week, another voting machine company, Smartmatic, said that it had originated legal notices and retraction demand letters to Fox News, Newsmax and OAN “for publishing false and defamatory statements.”
“The demand learns identify dozens of factually inaccurate statements made by each of the organizations as part of a ‘disinformation campaign’ to injure Smartmatic and question the 2020 U.S. election,” the company said at the time.
“Smartmatic had nothing to do with the “controversies” that certain public and secret figures have alleged regarding the 2020 U.S. election,” the company said. “Multiple fact-checkers have consistently debunked these fallacious statements with stunning consistency and regularity.”
Smartmatic said that despite false claims to the contrary, the public limited company’s “only involvement in the United States in the 2020 election was as the manufacturing partner, system integrator, and software developer for Los Angeles County’s publicly owned franchise system.”