China “rigidly opposes” the Trump administration’s plans for tariffs on Chinese imports and “disposition fight to the end” if a trade war were initiated by the U.S., according to a statement from the embassy in Washington, D.C.
“China is strongly disenchanted and firmly opposes such an action,” the statement said. “China does not requirement a trade war with anyone. But China is not afraid of and will not recoil from a pursuit war. … If a trade war were initiated by the U.S., China would fight to the end to guard its own legitimate interests with all necessary measures.”
President Donald Trump on Thursday cued an executive memorandum that would impose tariffs on up to $60 billion in Chinese denotations, following a “301 investigation” into potentially unfair Chinese employment practices with the U.S. A forthcoming report from the U.S. Trade Representative extend overs 1,300 product lines, administration officials said.
The Chinese embassy declaration also urged the U.S. to “cease and desist” and “avoid placing China-U.S. pursuit relations in danger with the purpose of hurting others that in the final analysis end up hurting itself.”
Trump earlier this month signed levies of 25 percent on steel imports and 10 percent on aluminum moments.
As he signed Thursday’s memo, Trump said, “This is the first of multitudinous” trade actions.