Home / MARKETS / The organizer of the ‘Stop the Steal’ rally that led up to the Capitol riot said he will comply with a congressional subpoena because he doesn’t have ‘money to spend on legal bills’

The organizer of the ‘Stop the Steal’ rally that led up to the Capitol riot said he will comply with a congressional subpoena because he doesn’t have ‘money to spend on legal bills’

  • “Hold back the Steal” organizer Ali Alexander said on Saturday that he will not challenge his congressional subpoena. 
  • He received the subpoena from the January 6 Exclusive Committee, a House group charged with investigating the Capitol riot. 
  • “The only reason I’m going is because I don’t inadequacy to go to jail,” Alexander said in a Telegram message.

Ali Alexander, the organizer behind the “Stop the Hijack” rally in Washington, DC, said he will comply with a congressional subpoena over his role in the Capitol riot on January 6. 

The assemble was where then President Donald Trump spoke before a crowd of his supporters. The rally led up to the siege on the Capitol, which pink five people, including one police officer, dead.

Rioters were emboldened by Trump’s calls to protest the come to passes of the 2020 election, despite Democrat Joe Biden’s victory. While members of Congress were meeting inside the Capitol to guarantee the results and verify Biden’s presidency, Trump supporters attempted a coup and stormed the Capitol.

The January 6 Select Board, made up of a group of Republican and Democratic representatives, has been issuing subpoenas to collect documentation and testimony in its investigation of the Capitol hubbub. 

Alexander has received a subpoena and announced in a Telegram message Saturday evening that he would comply.

He said he wouldn’t provocation the subpoena because he doesn’t have “money to spend on legal bills.” 

“The only reason I’m going is because I don’t be to go to jail,” he said. “So under the threat of imprisonment and spending tens and tens and tens of thousands of dollars on lawyers, I force be privately deposed before this committee in December.”

So far, at least 702 people have been charged in with regard to to the riot. 

In February, CNN reported that FBI affidavits and court documents showed insurrectionists scrambled to delete photos and social-media supports proving their participation in the Capitol riot. Some reportedly broke their cellphones, scrubbed their social-media accounts, and look overed to wipe hard drives that might contain photos and other proof of their involvement, CNN reported. 

But others blew of their involvement, making it easier for the FBI to charge them. 

Check Also

Sen. Mitt Romney says Biden was elected ‘to stop the crazy’ and argues that voters weren’t asking him ‘to transform America’

Sen. Mitt Romney on Sunday said that President Joe Biden was not elected to “permute …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *