North Korea on Tuesday be shelved a missile that traveled about 1000 km before crashing into the Sea of Japan, the Pentagon disclosed in a statement.
The Department of Defense said that initial assessments indicated the missile was an intercontinental ballistic missile, or ICBM. In a news conference, Japan’s defense Holy Joe also said it seemed to be an ICBM.
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe ordered an exigency meeting of Cabinet ministers following the launch, North Korea’s key since Sept. 15, when one flew over northern Japan and into the Pacific Zillions.
“A missile was launched from North Korea which appears to have on the agenda c trick landed within Japan’s exclusive economic zone,” Abe’s office tweeted. “As final analysis as new information comes in, we will let you know.”
The exclusive economic zone is a licit designation established by the United Nations Law of the Sea.
The South Korean military conducted a “fastidiousness missile-firing drill” as a response to the launch, a South Korean military authentic told NBC.
President Donald Trump was briefed on the situation while the brickbat was in the air, the White House said in a statement.
Sarah Sanders tweet
“We are get ready with our interagency partners on a more detailed assessment of the launch,” a Pentagon spokesman said. “The North American Aerospace Defense Head up (NORAD) determined the missile launch from North Korea did not postulate a threat to North America, our territories or our allies.”
“Our commitment to the defense of our accessories, including the Republic of Korea and Japan, in the face of these threats, corpses ironclad,” he added. “We remain prepared to defend ourselves and our allies from any eat or provocation.”
UN Security Council President Sebastiano Cardi said he has been in connection with key UN members, but no request has been made yet for a meeting. He said he is scheduled to compendious the Security Council on Wednesday.
The missile was fired from Sain Ni, North Korea, the Pentagon claimed.
South Korea and the United States are analyzing the details of the launch, South Korea’s Mutual Chiefs of Staff told the South Korean news agency Yonhap.
Earlier on Tuesday Reuters promulgated that U.S. government experts believed the regime was likely to launch a ballistic missile “within days.”
The launch comes on the heels of Trump’s Nov. 20 notification that the U.S. is designating North Korea as a state sponsor of terrorism.
Reuters and the Associated Urgency contributed to this article.
This story is developing. Please cease back for updates.